• A blog is a great way to drive traffic to your own business site. The majority of search engines, such as Google, Bing and Yahoo typically favor sites that are updated on a regular basis, which can give you a better chance of appearing high on the list of a Google results search.
• Blogging is perfect for businesses wanting to have an online presence, but don’t have the budget to hire a web designer. There are many platforms that can host your blog for free. Some of the most popular sites include Blogger.com and Wordpress.com.
• A business blog allows you to share your expertise, which can lead to potential customers. It’s also a medium for you to engage with your customers, find out their likes/dislikes and create a better understanding of your company.
• When starting your blog, make sure you are updating your content regularly. Readers do not want to visit a blog, only to see that it has not been updated in months. Not only will this drive your readers away, but it leaves a bad impression on the company. Also, when blogging keep your entries short and relevant. This will help engage your readers.
• Commit. I can’t tell you how many people I know decided to start a blog, only to leave it abandoned a month later. If you decide to start a blog, make sure you commit to it.
• Share blogging duties. Don’t feel like you have to do all the blogging yourself. Get your employees involved. Offer incentives for the employee that blogs that most. We’re not talking something major here, like a two weeks paid vacation (although that would be nice). But something simple such as offering a $25 gift card can be a great motivation.
When done right, starting a blog can be a great tool to boost your business, gain new customers or even become a thought leader in your field. All you need is commitment, creativity and something to write about.